Thursday, September 3, 2009

For Ms. Neale's Reading Classes, part 1


Entries from Ma Ma's personal journal...

June 30, 2008

Tomorrow I will have been married 77 years. In a way that seems like a long, long time -- but in another way it seems like it was yesterday. I have gone through many changes in life, and some was very hard, but all around I am proud of what I have gone through. My family, Jay and Zelda, got an education, and Trevor is coming along. He is in eleventh grade. Debra and Jay are teaching and Zelda has retired and is taking care of me. We do a few things around the house and the yard. I say "we" do because I look on while Zelda works and I boss quite a lot.





July 1, 2008 (writing about events that happened in 1931 and beyond)

I was married 77 years ago today. In a way my life turned around on that day, but [in] another way my life was the same. My mother passed away and Daddy told me to take the three young [siblings] and raise them. He never gave me a dime or gave me anything to help support them. In those days you never could find a job, and Lenard had to support them [with] no help. When [my younger brother] Doc went into the Tree Army he told me he would buy [his two sister's] shoes, and he sure did. Nobody will ever know how much I appreciated that. I will remember that until the day I die.











Trevor Neale, Rupie Lee Johnson, Zelda Harrington, Christmas, 2008, in Alvarado, Texas.











Trevor Neale and Rupie Lee Johnson ("Ma Ma"), April 19, 2009, Ma Ma's 98th birthday.












Zelda, Ma Ma and Jay, at the "Old Home Place" up on the prairie, near Lovelady, Texas, May 13, 2009.









Ma Ma, listening to her niece, Janice, who is holding the camera.










Ma Ma, telling it like it is.











No comments:

Post a Comment